Thursday, February 21, 2008

i don't get you and i don't know why you're so appealing

Earlier this week, I ventured to one of my favorite places in the world, the airport, to pick up my grandma. Because of some sick complusion, I arrived at the airport with my dad about 2 hours ahead of when Granny's plane was scheduled to land. Of course, we indulged in airport foodstuff (T.G.I. Fridays...WILD!!) and then studied every item in every silly airport store. The ultimate consumers, I know. I bought the latest issue of Spin because of the cover, which I found repulsive to the point that I was charmed.



Thief, mess, junkie, charmer, artist? You've got my $4! I know that there has to be icky British teeth behind that nonchalant smug and a pale, pale complexion beyond the black and white photography, but my intrigue is powerful. After reading the article about Pete's house that he rents unfurnished that he furnishes with dirty clothes, blankets (but no mattresses), kittens, and kitten poop, his lies about getting sober that even the journalist caught him in, his manic tendencies, and how to actually pronounce his last name (Dock-erty), I had to know more. Oh, and his music, imagine that, popular culture! I don't know why I'm drawn to Mr. Doherty...probably the same reasons I have that crush on Jack White. He's dirty and weird and writes dirty, weird rock. I googled the fellow during newspaper and eventually moved to video search, at which point, I found this gem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0Im0tkM8tk .
Copy and paste is being weird, sorry. Here's a list of what I want to point out:


  • Pete's outfit for the acceptance speech.
  • Pete's face and body languge while reading the poem that says "I'm really blazed, that's why I'm this enthusiastic."
  • The unenthusiastic behavior of...that other guy and how obvious it is that reading this stupid poem was not his idea.
  • Pete going in for one on the lips.
  • The sound Pete makes at the beginning of the song.
  • The sound Pete makes at 3:57.
  • How Pete is obviously inebriated but manages to put on a shirt and pull off an impressive guitar solo.
  • That Pete repeats the 3:57 sound at 4:30.
  • How adorable/innocent the bassist is!

But I mean, he's still lovable, right? Come on, look!




1 comment:

Jennifer Landon said...

he is a cocky, smart-ass British(?) guy?!?!?!?!? i have seen this issue of this magazine around and wanted to buy it because the photo was really great and i felt like the photo on the front was only the beginning of the article on the inside...

so you liked the article?